With summer in full swing, many Minnesotans are considering tinting their car windows in an effort to keep their car cool when the temperatures rise. We specialize in window tinting, and while some people prefer to tint their windows on their own, you’ll want to make sure you stay in line with the law. We know the laws when it comes to window tinting in Minnesota, but let’s see if you can pass the Window Tinting Quiz!
Before we begin, we want to quickly explain Visible Light Transmission percentage. VLT is the amount of visible light the window allows in. So if a window has a VLT of 80%, the window allows 80% of light in. Along the same lines, a window with a 10% VLT only allows 10% of visible light to pass through the window.
1. You can tint your car’s front windshield in Minnesota, but only if the Visible Light Transmission (VLT) percentage is 90% or higher.
2. On a passenger car, the VLT percentage for the front and back side windows must be at no less than _____ VLT.
3. On a passenger car, the VLT for the rear windshield must be at no less than _____ VLT.
4. On a larger vehicle like an SUV, truck or minivan, the VLT for the rear windshield only needs to be above _____ VLT.
5. Car windows cannot reflect more than a certain percentage of light. This is so drivers don’t blind one another with super reflective windows. Under Minnesota law, windows can’t reflect more than ______ of light.
6. Since window tinting isn’t a perfect science, Minnesota law gives drivers a little leeway when it comes to tint and light reflection laws. All drivers must be within state regulations of VLT and light reflection within:
A. +/- 2%
B. +/- 3%
C. +/- 5%
D. +/- 8%
7. Three vehicles are specifically mentioned in the Minnesota Statute as being allowed to have more tint on their rear and side windows. Name one of the exempt vehicles. (Bonus points for correctly knowing all three!)
Here are the answers to the quiz questions.
1. False, no tint is allowed on the front windshield. 2. C, 50%. 3. C, 50%. 4. D, 20%. 5. C, 20%. 6. B, +/- 3%. 7. Police car, Limousine, Hearse.
We hope you enjoyed the quiz, and please don’t hesitate to contact us if you want to have your windows tinted!
A recent study of over 2,400 car owners likened the car repair process to that of going to the dentist, a statistic we find downright depressing. According to the research, 83 percent of consumers “feel” overcharged by the auto repair process, and women respondents said they’d rather go to the dentist than take their ride […]
To a car owner, there are few worse feelings than noticing a puddle of liquid underneath your car. Obviously something in your car is leaking, but just how big of a concern is the dripping fluid? Today, we take a look at some of the more common leaks that occur in your vehicle. Common Car […]
Two weeks ago Minnesotans were taking their boats out for one last ride on the lake, and today we’re buried beneath a few inches of snow. Hopefully you took time during the warm days to prep your car for winter driving, but if you didn’t here are five steps you’ll want to take now that […]