With summer in full swing, many Minnesotans are considering tinting their car windows in an effort to keep their car cool when the temperatures rise. We specialize in window tinting, and while some people prefer to tint their windows on their own, you’ll want to make sure you stay in line with the law. We know the laws when it comes to window tinting in Minnesota, but let’s see if you can pass the Window Tinting Quiz!
Before we begin, we want to quickly explain Visible Light Transmission percentage. VLT is the amount of visible light the window allows in. So if a window has a VLT of 80%, the window allows 80% of light in. Along the same lines, a window with a 10% VLT only allows 10% of visible light to pass through the window.
1. You can tint your car’s front windshield in Minnesota, but only if the Visible Light Transmission (VLT) percentage is 90% or higher.
2. On a passenger car, the VLT percentage for the front and back side windows must be at no less than _____ VLT.
3. On a passenger car, the VLT for the rear windshield must be at no less than _____ VLT.
4. On a larger vehicle like an SUV, truck or minivan, the VLT for the rear windshield only needs to be above _____ VLT.
5. Car windows cannot reflect more than a certain percentage of light. This is so drivers don’t blind one another with super reflective windows. Under Minnesota law, windows can’t reflect more than ______ of light.
6. Since window tinting isn’t a perfect science, Minnesota law gives drivers a little leeway when it comes to tint and light reflection laws. All drivers must be within state regulations of VLT and light reflection within:
A. +/- 2%
B. +/- 3%
C. +/- 5%
D. +/- 8%
7. Three vehicles are specifically mentioned in the Minnesota Statute as being allowed to have more tint on their rear and side windows. Name one of the exempt vehicles. (Bonus points for correctly knowing all three!)
Here are the answers to the quiz questions.
1. False, no tint is allowed on the front windshield. 2. C, 50%. 3. C, 50%. 4. D, 20%. 5. C, 20%. 6. B, +/- 3%. 7. Police car, Limousine, Hearse.
We hope you enjoyed the quiz, and please don’t hesitate to contact us if you want to have your windows tinted!
Brace yourself. Winter is coming. Make sure you take appropriate steps to ensure your car is ready for another cold Minnesota winter. Below, we share some tips to help you winterize your car. Repack Your Trunk – It’s time to take the beach ball out of your trunk and load it up with winter essentials. […]
Your brakes are arguably the most important part of your vehicle because they regulate your speed and help prevent accidents. Anyone who has had brake trouble can tell you how important it is to address any problems as quickly as possible. If your car takes a long time to come to a complete stop, or […]
Most cars these days are equipped with cruise control, which allows a driver to set the speed of the vehicle without having to maintain constant contact with the gas pedal. In fact, you may be surprised to learn that cruise control technology was first introduced 100 years ago. Cruise control is a useful tool for […]